Grand Theft Auto 4 offered a number of memorable online modes including GTA Race, Turf Wars, Bomb da Base and fan favorite, Cops ‘n’ Crooks. With that in mind the question on every online gamers lips is exactly what sort of online experience will the new game have to offer. Here is my wishlist:
- Bring the GTA 4 modes back- Rockstar’s first foray into online co-op GTA gameplay was a big hit with fans and critics alike. All, or nearly all of the online modes were incredibly fun and I wouldn’t mind doing it all over again in Los Santos’ much larger playground. Here’s hoping they make a return appearance in GTA 5.
Cops ‘n’ Crooks in particular is a near perfect way to burn away hours of free time, laughing maniacally while chasing the boss or running from the cops. I say near perfect because the mode did have a few issues that kept it from being sheer perfection. If Rockstar can correct these few minor issues for their next release we’ll have a version of the frantic online chase game that fans won’t be able to tear themselves away from. First on the list being:
- Randomized spawn points- Anyone who’s played Cops ‘n’ Crooks enough knows that eventually you start to figure out where almost every escape vehicle spawn point is. Which is fine if you’re the boss and you need to catch that flight out of town. However it starts to suck when you’re playing against some unscrupulous cops whose idea of strategy is to pick up an AR-15 and just camp the helicopter until you get there, then pick you off for an easy win. They should have a system where the escape vehicle and spawn points are randomized all over the map and no one ever knows for sure where anything is beforehand.
- Tone down the AR-15- Speaking of the AR, I don’t know if i’m in the minority with this one or not but surely i’m not the only person who got sick of that one guy who could get an assault rifle and pretty much reign over any mode, be it Deathmatch, Turf Wars or Cops ‘n’ Crooks. I’m not saying make it a carebear weapon by any means but by the same token it shouldn’t be the god tier gun that everybody always flocks to, to the exclusion of all others either.
- Expanded Co-Op missions- Being able to team up with other players in Team Mafiya Work, Hangman’s Noose and Bomb the Base was incredibly fun but unfortunately it was also incredibly short. Hopefully in the next GTA Rockstar will expand the co-op portions of the game, maybe even offering Co-Op players their own mini storyline within the grander GTA framework. Preferably with much more varied missions as well. Team Mafiya Work was fun but with just a few different mission types it got kinda repetitive after awhile.
- Last but certainly not least, ZOMBIE MODE!- There are already plenty of mods available online where creative GTA fans have tinkered with the different GTA engines and created a rough approximation of this. Still, none of them have come quite close enough to capturing the true potential of zombies in GTA: